~Paramedic – Job Description~
Patriot Ambulance, Inc. provides prehospital care and interfacility transport to thousands of patients every year. During our years of providing emergency medical services, one lesson has been driven home again and again: Teamwork is the only way to ensure quality care and transportation. At the heart of this is our Team Members. Paramedics are an integral part of making sure the company’s goals stay on track through excellent patient care, clear communication, and sound decision making.
Paramedic’s respond to medical and traumatic emergencies, provide basic and advanced life support procedures and transportation to the most appropriate facility. They also provide basic and advanced life support services to interfacility transfer patients as required. Paramedic’s carry themselves with the utmost professionalism and assist other company departments where needed.
- Responds to select medical and traumatic emergencies along with responding to select hospitals, clinics, and nursing homes to provide inter-facility transfers.
- Provides emergency medical care at the scene, en route to the hospital and during transportation from facility to facility. Provides emergency medical care as appropriate to the practice of the registered emergency medical technician. Delivers the patient to the nearest most appropriate medical facility. Adheres to Company, local, regional, and state guidelines regarding patient care.
- Performs basic (or intermediate) life support procedures, based upon certification level.
- Performs other duties related to emergency and non-emergency medical care and development of the emergency medical system and/or Patriot Ambulance.
Specific and Additional Tasks / Duties:
- At all times, presents an example of professionalism and leadership for others to follow. Places patient care excellence above all else.
- Demonstrates and ensures knowledge, understanding, and compliance of Patriot Ambulance policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer care.
- Ensures that the vehicle and equipment is ready for use at the beginning of the shift and after every call.
- Responds to emergencies and non-emergencies using appropriate care and caution in accordance with Massachusetts law, EMS regulations, company policy, and the principles of safe emergency vehicle operation. As per Patriot Ambulance policy, always wears their seatbelt when in a Company vehicle.
- Adheres to Universal Precautions/Body Substance Isolation when dealing with patient contacts. Is familiar with and practices the Infection Control policies and procedures of Patriot Ambulance.
- When necessary and appropriate, acts as a team leader in dealing with emergency and non-emergency situations, directing and supervising other members of the emergency medical care team.
- Renders emergency and non-emergency medical care in accordance with the rules, regulations, protocols, policies and procedures of Patriot Ambulance, the State of Massachusetts, DPH/OEMS, and the Regional Office of OEMS, consistent with good judgment and the provision of high-quality medical care. Appropriately and safely delivers the patient to the nearest most appropriate medical facility.
- Performs indicated Advanced Life Support procedures as per the appropriate Protocols under the direction and supervision of the Medical Control Physician, through standing orders, radio, or telephone communications.
- Works with all personnel in a professional manner and works at their skill level in accordance to the Massachusetts DPH/OEMS and company policies. Maintain good relations with all outside staff and services.
- Acts at all times in the best interests of high-quality patient care, in the best interests of the patient, and in such a manner to reflect credibly on Patriot Ambulance and the professional reputation of the emergency medical technician.
- Acts at all times with personal safety in mind as well as the safety of others.
- Provides high-quality patient care while transporting patients to the receiving facility. Once at the destinations, provides the receiving staff with a comprehensive report regarding the patients’ status.
- Completes all appropriate documentation, Patient care Records and any other record keeping for every patient contact.
- Performs duties related to public relations and community education programs sponsored by Patriot Ambulance Inc.
- Attends appropriate continuing education courses as required. Ensures continuity with all required certifications such as CPR, EMT/Paramedic Card, PALS, ACLS, etc. Files the appropriate paperwork with DPH/OEMS to ensure timely recertification.
- Provides Patriot Ambulance with a current copy of their EMT/Paramedic certification, CPR card, Motor Vehicle Driver’s License, etc. Completes training in all Company, state and federal mandates.
- Reports to assigned shifts in proper uniform and on time. Remains on-duty and in proper uniform until properly relieved.
- Accommodates and trains third riders for orientation and/or educational purposes. Completes all documentation on behalf of student interns.
- Consults with supervisor on non-routine matters.
- Completes various day to day assignments (i.e. cleaning, laundry, trash removal etc.)
- Completes any other tasks or duties as assigned.
Location, Reporting Structure and Hours:
- Paramedic positions can have full time, part time or per diem hours.
- Positions are located in the Greater Marlborough or Lawrence areas but employees may be required to move to alternate locations in certain circumstances.
- The position works under the general direction of the daily supervisor.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Strong multi-tasking and time management abilities.
- Currently certified as a Paramedic by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Department of Public Health Office of Emergency Medical Services required.
- Current certification in CPR – Basic Life Support by the American Heart Association (AHA) or the American Red Cross and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Provider by the AHA required.
- Current and active Motor Vehicle Operator’s license required.
- Pediatrics Advanced Life Support (PALS) preferred but not required.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, using good judgment and common sense with a thorough understanding of the principles of emergency medical care.
- Ability to work efficiently and interact in a constructive and professional manner with other employees, a partner, public safety personnel, medical staff, and other emergency medical service members.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with patients, customers, clients, family members, bystanders and the general public in such a manner as to reflect credibly on Patriot Ambulance Inc.
- Demonstrates a level of skill and ability consistent with the provision of high-quality patient care.
- The ability to perform effectively as team leader in patient care situations.
- The ability to perform effectively in carrying out public relations and community education functions and the ability to deal effectively with members of the medical community and general public in promoting Patriot Ambulance Inc.
- The ability to lift and maneuver 150 pounds with assistance without difficulty.
- The ability to walk up and down stairs without difficulty and the ability to lift and carry 150 pounds up and down two flights of stairs with assistance without difficulty.
- The ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- The ability to walk a distance of one quarter of a mile without difficulty and without affecting the immediate performance of job-related duties.